Is Family Day Care the Career for You?
A family day care educator is someone who:
- is energized by being with children
- has a genuine desire to be engaged in the lives of young children and their families
- wants to operate their own home-based child care service with the support of a strong team of professional coordinators
- can create a nurturing, safe, stimulating learning environment for children
- can provide a healthy and hygienic environment and model healthy practices with children
- interacts with children in a warm and friendly way, engaging them in interesting experiences
- has the skill to guide children’s behaviour in a positive manner
- is willing to open their home to families seeking childcare, and form partnerships with parents
- is excited about learning more about early childhood related issues and trends
- has well developed and effective communication skills with adults and children
- values diversity and has respect for every family’s culture and child rearing practices
- has the ability to perform the necessary administrative tasks and to learn new skills as necessary to run their own small business
If this sounds like you, family day care may be your ideal profession.
Opening your home to families and children takes a special kind of person who is able to adapt to different people, cultures and lifestyles. It is important you discuss the implications of running a business from home with your own family, as you will need their ongoing support.